Friday, December 18, 2009
I did the work a while ago and I'm finally getting around to posting. On the left is the 128 right before we bought it. You could hide a small dog in those wheel wells. Once the bumpers came off it was even higher. Bringing down the whole car was a project. We tried spring cutting and although they couldn't go anywhere, the top of the spring just didn't sit right in the perch. I could hear them flopping around every time I turned a corner. We were able to get our hands on early, rear X 1/9 struts and new inserts but they came with really tall, stiff 124 springs which put me back up to where I started at. Finally Bernice from the X forums sent me a set of proper springs and the fronts sit perfectly. There it stayed for a while while the 600 got all the attention.
Finally a few weekends ago the ass end comes down, again no easy task. The back is a transverse leaf spring set-up which needed blocks to lower it. Easy enough to find the hardware but a huge pain in the butt to knock out the original studs. There were angry monkeys all around...but the end result was well worth it.